Sponsored Post: Enter to win great little gifts for your favorite gardener (or yourself!) from aHa! Modern Living. You’ll find these fun items are perfect for stuffing into Christmas stockings this holiday season. But hurry! This giveaway lasts only one day – December 19, 2011! Photo copyright Kevin O’Connor
Want to garden more in 2012? Or, eager to get your friends and family members gardening too? These cool little prizes from aHa Modern Living will get you started this spring. As many of you know, I’ve partnered with the owner of this hip online store, Jayme Jenkins, on a seasonal home & garden podcast called Nest in Style for a couple years. The podcasts aired on Horticulture Radio. Listen to episodes at the aHa! Home and Garden blog (NIS podcasts) or on iTunes.
Jayme Jenkins, together with Billie Brownell, recently coauthored a new book called Garden Rules: The Snappy Synopsis for the Modern Gardener. This small, short and sassy paperback has many simple rules for finding satisfaction and success in your garden, especially if you’re just starting out.
Garden Rules is a bit like the CliffNotes® version of a comprehensive gardening resource. It’s the kind of book you can throw in a pocket, then pull out for a quick read when you have a second to learn something new. That’s convenient in today’s hectic world, where many people want to learn quickly about gardening without spending a lot of time studying it.
“Modern gardeners are busy people with many interests,” explains Jayme. “They just need a little help understanding the basics of how to grow plants successfully. You certainly don’t have to be a horticulturist to enjoy gardening.”
To take the fear out of gardening, the gardening book’s rules include sensible advice presented in a humorous way, such as:
- Rule Number One: There Are No Rules
- Make No Garden Larger Than You Can Weed
- Hold A Dress Rehearsal Before Planting
- Bugs: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
- Free Mulch Falls From The Sky Every Year
- The Bigger The Leaf, The Harder It Drinks
Along with other practical advice, readers will find a mini-glossary and botanical pronunciation guide. Pull out this small paperback when you suddenly need to know how to say the Latin name for American holly, Ilex opaca. (The correct Latin pronunciation is I-lex o-PAY-kuh, in case you were wondering.) These diverse topics are presented in simple language that beginner gardeners will appreciate, and the book is perfectly sized to fit into a Christmas stocking.
“We didn’t want people to think they needed hours of study to start their first garden,” says Jayme. “Being outside and enjoying nature is important on an emotional, physical and spiritual level. As with many things in life, it all comes down to realizing what you can really commit time to. Is it a one-acre edible landscape? Or, a windowsill of potted culinary herbs? Both have benefits.”
In the spirit of giving, Seasonal Wisdom has partnered with Jayme and aHaModernLiving to have a whirlwind, one-day giveaway with one lucky winner receiving:
- Autographed copy of The Garden Rules: The Snappy Synopsis for the Modern Gardener ($9.95)
- Two Matchstick Gardens. Embedded with seeds, these matchsticks are like having a portable garden in your pocket … or, your Christmas stocking. The innovative seeds from aHa! Modern Living were recently featured in Better Homes & Gardens. Win two Matchstick Gardens: Mixed Greens (garden lettuce, radicchio and arugula seeds) and Wildflowers (cornflower, shasta daisy, corn marigold and field poppy seeds). It’s an easy way to join the green revolution, and grow your own food and flowers. ($2.50/each)
- More Savings. Although absolutely NO PURCHASE IS REQUIRED to enter this random drawing, the winner will also receive a 15% discount which can be applied to his/her first order. Be sure to check out other cool gardening gifts, such as an elegant Roost Recycled Glass Wall Terrarium for winter indoor plants, or a Greenbo Planter that hangs securely on city apartment railings and fire escapes.
How To Enter: It’s easy to enter this stocking stuffer giveaway. Just do the following before midnight on December 19, 2011:
1) Leave a comment below and tell us some of the best gardening advice you ever received from a book, friend, family member, Master Gardener, whoever, whatever. And, how has this advice served as a good gardening rule for you personally?
The winner will be chosen at random on Dec. 20, 2011 and contacted within 24 hours. If the proposed winner forfeits or does not claim the prize by Dec. 22, 2011, the prize will be re-awarded based on the sponsor’s sole discretion. All prizes will be awarded. Please provide your name and email to enter this contest, so we can contact you promptly if you win. The winner agrees to allow his/her first name to be mentioned in conjunction with this giveaway. We cannot guarantee these prizes will arrive in time for Christmas, although we’ll do our best. So, if you win, please get back to us quickly.
The number of eligible entries will determine the odds of winning. This giveaway is limited to U.S. residents only, who are over the age of 18 years old. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO WIN. This sweepstakes is VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. By entering this giveaway, you are agreeing to these conditions.
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post, and books were provided at no charge. However, all expressed opinions are my own.
Please be sure to enter this giveaway before midnight on Dec. 19, 2011. Good luck everyone! Update: This giveaway is now over. The winner will be announced shortly.
On Social Media:
Jayme Jenkins on Twitter